In accordance with Senate Bill 98, we will be taking attendance daily during the live synchronous sessions.
Middle and High School Attendance Information
Attendance at San Joaquin looks different from that at in person schools. Attendance is taken for all synchronous class meetings at IVA. Attendance is part of satisfactory engagement. Please contact a student's teacher if the student is unable to attend a synchronous meeting. The re-engagement plan outlines steps taken for students with 3 or more absences.
Satisfactory Educational Progress
Whether a student is making satisfactory educational progress in an independent study program is determined through evaluation based on all the following indicators:
- The student’s achievement and engagement in the independent study program, as indicated by the student’s performance on applicable measures of pupil achievement and pupil engagement as those terms are defined in Education Code section 52060(d)(4) and (5).
- Completion of assignments, assessments, or other indicators that evidence the student is working on assignments.
- Learning required concepts, as determined by the supervising teacher.
- Progressing toward successful completion of the course of study or individual course, as determined by the supervising teacher.
We make every effort to fully support our students at IVA. Our students’ success is as important to us as it is to our students and families. We closely monitor attendance and work completion - both of these are strong predictors of student success. In order to ensure we have the right support in place for students who benefit from additional attention, we have the following re-engagement plan in place. At times, in spite of our best efforts, a return to a traditional learning environment may be in a student’s best interest and an evaluation of enrollment is initiated
- Three absences/3 missing assignments in one or more classes – the teacher of record will reach out to help resolve any barriers to success
- Six absences/6 missing assignments in one or more classes – student is referred to their assigned counselor for further intervention, including a possible referral to the school intervention team
- Eight or more absences and/or missing assignments – Evaluation of enrollment is initiated
Justified Absence Form
In accordance with Education Code and IUSD Board Policy, parents/guardians must submit for approval absences that that fall under the category of justifiable personal reasons.
Board Policy/Administrative Regulation 5113 (7c); Education Code 48205
Written verification by the parent/guardian and the approval of the principal or designated site administrator, justifiable personal reasons including, but not limited to:
- a. Appearance in court
- b. Attendance at a funeral service
- c. Observation of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion
- d. Attendance at religious retreats not to exceed four hours per semester
- e. Attendance at an employment conference
- f. Attendance at an educational conference offered by a nonprofit organization on the legislative or judicial process
The absence will be marked excused upon approval by the principal or designated site administrator and the attendance office will be notified.